Can You Collect Owed Child Support in Florida After a Child Turns 18?

If the non-custodial parent has not paid off the full amount of the child support owed by the time the child turns 18, or graduates from high school, whoever’s name is on the court order still has the right to collect back child support. Every state has their own statutes and limitations on the timeline of events, so be sure to check Florida’s statutes and limitations regarding owed child support before making any big moves.

Every situation is different. If the non-custodial spouse was ordered to pay child support and never did, their situation needs to be examined individually. If the non-custodial spouse was never asked to pay child support but the child has turned 18 and wants the money that the non-custodial parent would have been paying, that case needs to be handled individually as well.

There are so many factors going into child support cases, but the main thing to keep in mind is that you should always consult with an attorney before making any game-changing decisions that may affect your life, your ex’s life, or your child’s life.

In the end, if the non-custodial parent still owes child support after the child turns 18, the person who’s name is on the court order will still be able to collect back the owed child support money.

This post was written by David Hurvitz. Follow David on Google+.