How do You Ask the Judge to Remove the Parent Coordinator in a Child Custody Case?

In contested family law matters, parent coordinators are assigned by the court to a case to help facilitate issues that may develop as a result of custody and child visitation arrangements. Parent coordinators are usually chosen from a pool of qualified psychologists, counselors, and members of the Bar. A parent coordinator meets with both parties on a regular basis to ensure everyone is complying with the custody order and a healthy environment is being provided for the child. A parent coordinator is also available to assist with any questions or problems a party may have relating to custody and visitation issues.

Because a parent coordinator’s recommendations essentially bind the parties, as the parent coordinator is appointed by the court and can testify about parental non-compliance, it is crucial that both parties are able to effectively work with the parent coordinator assigned to the case.

A parent coordinator can be involved with a family for years, so if a party feels that they can no longer work with the parent coordinator appointed their case, there are ways to have the parent coordinator removed. However, it is highly unlikely that a judge will remove a parent coordinator requirement from a case completely, particularly in contested matters that are usually associated with parent coordinators. Instead, a judge will assign a different parent coordinator to continue to work with the parties.

In order to request a new parent coordinator, a motion must be filed with the court to have the current coordinator removed and a hearing on the matter requested. At the requested hearing, a judge will give the complaining party an opportunity to explain all of the reasons why they feel the parent coordinator needs to be removed for a new parent coordinator.

An experienced family law attorney will be able to assist you in filing the appropriate motion to remove the parent coordinator and represent you at the hearing. If you feel like you can no longer work with your parent coordinator, contact a family law attorney to get the removal process started, so that you can continue to build a positive environment for you and your children.

This post was written by David Hurvitz. Follow David on Google+.