How do You Get a Divorce or Annulment When Your Marriage Isn’t Valid?

If a marriage isn’t valid, either because someone is married to someone else at the time of the marriage, a person is underage and doesn’t have parental consent, or if the marriage is incestuous, annulment is an option. Annulment is a legal procedure that disbands a couple’s martial status by determining that a valid marriage never existed.

seIn order to get an annulment the person needs to meet the residency requirements of the state they currently reside in. There are other qualifications you must have in order to secure an annulment so be sure to talk to an attorney before you decide what to do. Annulment and divorce are similar and if an annulment is not really recognized in your state, then you must file a dissolution of marriage.

TBefore you go through with an annulment or a divorce, think of the repercussions and consider ways to save the marriage. In this case, it is a little sticky since the marriage was never valid, but maybe you can work through the differences. If not, then consider consulting an attorney to ensure that everything is being handled properly.

This post was written by David Hurvitz. Follow David on Google+.