When Requesting Your Maiden Name Back After a Divorce, Does it Have to be Done Once Finalized or Can it Wait?

When requesting your maiden name back through a mediation divorce, you can do so at any time. If you would like to change your name back to your maiden name for free then you will have to request the change when the divorce is finalized. If, for some reason, you want to wait and change it back later, there will be a new filing fee and new paperwork to go along with it.

The form you need to fill out in order to request your maiden name is Florida Form 12.982(a). This form, along with others similar to it, is easily accessible via the Florida Court website, The form includes easy-to-follow directions and all of the steps are required so be sure to fill out everything correctly. There is a fee for changing your name back to your maiden name after the divorce is finalized and it may vary depending on the court and the county you live in.

This post was written by David Hurvitz. Follow David on Google+.